10 Apr 2007

Weddings and Getting Older

On Saturday I went to a wedding of a couple of friends from uni. I kinda gate crashed but that's not the point. It was a really nice occasion, lots of people, everyone looked really pretty and the wedding was really good. And then it hit me. It was just so surreal. I mean these people are actually married and are my age. I mean actually married, man and wife in the yes of the law and everything. They weren't just playing dress up!!!! It just seems really odd that for years I have been going to weddings, and everyone is always older than I am, proper grown ups, but now people who are actually my age and slightly younger are tying the knot. I am now old enough, and in that stage of life where people around me are getting married and becoming proper adults, I'm not sure I'm prepared for this.

4 comments:

Liz said...

You got me thinking. Am I a proper adult?? Here's some stuff I found.


The term adult describes any mature organism, but normally it refers to a human: one that is no longer a child / minor and is now either a man or a woman. Adulthood can be defined in terms of biology, law, personal character, or social status. These different aspects of adulthood are often inconsistent and contradictory. A person may be biologically an adult, and have adult behavioral characteristics but still be treated as a child if they are under the legal age of majority. Conversely one may legally be an adult but possess none of the maturity and responsibility that define adult character.

...and some things people say about being a grown up

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/grown-up.html

AS with 'good and bad' (see Sarah's Blog) I think it's all relative....and now I have the beginnings of a rather grown up blog of my own floating around my head, but first I really must hang out some washing!

Graeme said...

Directed here by Liz, following some comments on being grown up on my blog. The interesting bit is "Conversely one may legally be an adult but possess none of the maturity and responsibility that define adult character." And so I rest my case - maturity, responsibility - No way I'm grown up then!!!!

Unknown said...

I have been having big issues with the idea of being grown up recently. I will get too personal if I say any more, but let it just be said that its strange how differently people can respond to the idea of being an adult.

Dawn said...

Wait until people you were at uni with are married and onto their second child - there really is not hope for me!