24 Sept 2007

Why....

OK this may sound like it is possibly going to be a big deep philosophical or theological blog but it isn't I'm afraid as I am not that type of person. The real subject of this blog is dogs and houses.

As part of September those of us in the Salvation Army are encouraged to do door to door collecting as part of the Annual Appeal. As my mum is a minister now guess who has to help her out with this (to be fair there are only about 3 people under the age of 65!!). I do not mind the idea of it at all, my biggest problem is I am scared of dogs, and I mean scared, I cross over the road, that kind of thing. So anyway we went out last Saturday knocking on doors and I like nearly got killed like three times (FYI I am a slight drama queen!!). People opened their doors fully and out come bounding dogs. Now surely if you have a dog, who barks at visitors and is excitable, you do not open the door to its full width or am I missing some huge point? The funny thing is that once I screamed in pure terror when two big dogs came bounding at me from the same house the woman said, 'They won't hurt you', good I'm pleased but how can you categorically know that.

So the question and the point of my little rant is why do people who have dogs and other excitable animals open the door really wide and not take into account the fact the person at the door may be slightly scared of them?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The sound of the dog barking = Oh yes, collectings greatest enemy! I hate it when you knock at a door and the first thing you hear is a dog barking. Even if the owners do try to keep the dog inside the house, its a very uncomfortable moment, with you asking for money whilst they are struggling to keep the door open, find their purse, and keep this massive enemy like dog under control. No the most pleasant of experiences for anyone concerned!

Liz said...

My thing this year is dodgy garden decorations - Welcome to Our House plaques - where grumpy people live, and scary looking gnomes with....either pliers or secatuers! Didn't know if it wanted to trim me or remove my teeth!