24 Feb 2007

I came across this analogy in the Word for Today and just felt I wanted to put it down for people to read, it just struck me that was all. The bit that struck me the most was

As we read God's Word the Holy Spirit holds up a mirror before us. He wants us to see ourselves so that we can make whatever adjustments are necessary.

I have no idea why that struck me, possibly just because it was such a real illustration but it also links with something I read yesterday in the book God's Big Picture. In the chapter I was reading it said something like this,

When looking at a passage from the Bible it is so easy to miss the point as the first question or instruction is nearly always 'What is this saying to me?' What we should possibly ask first is 'What does this tell me about God?' This will no doubt probably be a lot easier to answer but will force us to reassess the situations occurring in our lives armed with new knowledge about God.

Now I know these two points are different but for me they appear to be awfully similar. For me this presents somewhat of a challenge and the challenge is this, when we open the Bible as part of our daily devotions or just because we are told to we should always ask what the passage is telling us about God and then imagine the Holy Spirit holding a mirror up in front of us so what we then see after learning something new about God or simply just confirming what we already knew is our reflection which forces us to take these new characteristics of God and put them into our lives, to change our lives, by changing our faces. It is through our faces that our emotions are most noticed so if we have just learnt that God will always love us and will never leave us our challenge should then be to show it for the whole world to see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

24th of feb... 24th of feb was ur last post!!!! claire where are you???... that is in the bloogage world and the real world!!